My Design Process!

10:33 1 Comments

For context one, I will discuss the design process I used from a previous project. This will show what different methods I used to accomplish the end result.
 In my second year at college, I studied a project called functional art. For the unit our group went on two trips, one to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the other to Leeds City Centre. The aim of the trips was to take detailed photographs of the sculptures, nature and architecture from both trips. This was primary research that we used towards our own inspiration for the project.


Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Image: http://www.ysp.co.uk/
 






We also had to base our designs on a artist. I chose Piet Mondrian to research, because his work inspired me the most and I thought I could create some quite unique and stylish designs with the structure and primary colours that he tended to use within his work. From looking back at the photos from the two trips, I created two collages of inspiration, to which I could work with when sketching my ideas.
The purpose of functional art was to design and manufacture a product that was eye- catching and appealing to look at, rather than the purpose of the product. Therefore we gathered secondary research to choose what product we would like to design, for this project. I decided to base my designs on a candle holder. I chose this product because they are mainly produced for the visual side of the product, therefore I can create something attractive and striking with its own unique purpose.
First of all everyone started off with rough sketches of ideas. From that we then evaluated everyone’s ideas in groups, which I thought was reasonable to do, because I gathered loads of feedback whether it was negative or positive to which I could then relate back to when I was developing my ideas.
From my design ideas I chose one to develop. My development showed how everything would be manufactured together, what materials I would use, and the measurements of all the different parts to make the product. I slightly changed the design to make its purpose a little more interesting. I added a bowl that sited on top of the candle holder, so it could be used for liquid incense. So when the candle heats up the bowl it gives off a nice refreshing fragrance. When I felt I was happy with my developments I made a 3D CAD model of my final design using Autodesk Inventor (As shown below).


Therefore I could use this in the workshop to help manufacture my product. To do this I used, welding, brazing, forging, glass cutting, sanding and more. (Below is a photograph of my candle holder that I manufactured but without the glass artwork around the top).


To be honest, making the candle holder wasn’t easy. And it was also my first time in the workshop making a product out of metal. However with practice I learnt a lot in the end, so it was worth it. Afterwards I tested the product by taking a series of photographs to show how the product worked. I also wrote an evaluation about the whole project.  


P.S. All of my designs and final photographs of the candle holder (including the glass work) are on my computer in Huddersfield at home and at college. When I get hold of the images I will add them onto this blog. I will also add my manufacturing log onto the blog which shows how I made my product step by step.

Alyssa

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

1 comment :

  1. Sounds good. Be good if you can add the bits you talk about. and also some more reflection on them once you've seen them

    ReplyDelete