Role Two: Production Designer!

09:39 0 Comments

My other role during the film making is the production designer, as well as sound designer. It is important to know exactly what I will be in charge of during the making of our film.

What is a production designer? - My understanding is that the production designer is head of the art department in film. This means working with the producer and director to visually set the style of a scene to tell a story. Therefore before and after shooting I will be focusing on the style and the visual feel. As a production designer, it is also required to help with the costume designer and hair and make-up artist to guide them to create the appearance and trend we desire to create. I will also work with the location manager, the special effects director and photography to secure the sense of visual aspects.














However as we only have roles for the producer, director, editor, camera and lighting and sound and production designer  because there isn't enough of us in the group. We have set each other additional roles, such as costume and prop design, location, description of characters and etc. We have also assigned roles which involves being responsible for all the risk assessments and permission. As my main role is the sound and production designer, I will be working with more or less all of the members in our group because it is important for me to create the ambience and feel that reacts to the audience.

"Film is ultimately a visual medium, its visual material is almost like another actor, itself creating a mood and eliciting an emotional reaction from the audience. Just think how much the production design in Todd Haynes’ "Far From Heaven" contributed to the overall effectiveness of his story. It is the PD’s responsibility to find the right visual and spatial elements that best convey the film’s theme and emotion."
http://newenglandfilm.com/news/archives/03january/pd.htm

I think I will work well as the production designer within the film making.
As an individual, I personally like anything to look organized and stylish whether its from a piece of writing to the layout of your bedroom or even a blog on this journal. I think this will be a great role for me to undertake and explore.

Alyssa

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments :