Evaluation & 'The Art Of Seeing'

02:47 0 Comments

For the ‘Still Life’ visualisation project, we had to produce four still renders of a ‘Still Life’ scene which included designing, modelling, texturing and rendering using 3Ds Max. For this we had to collect and model at least six objects for our scenes. Our influence for this project is painter Ralph Goings and Visualisation Artist Alex Roman.

For the project I researched many visualisation artists and photographs to get inspiration for creating my own scene. I found a visualisation artist who really inspires me and as from now I follow him on blogger. His name is Daniil Alikov, who is currently working at Lucasfilm Animation in Singapore. I originally came across his working when researching for visualisation artists and saw his work on ‘Still Life’ (As shown below).


The lighting and shadows in the image above really inspired me. I wanted to create something dull and dingy within my own work for this project. I focused on researching the lighting and textures for the project, which is where I thought a mantel piece would be the perfect idea for the sort of scene I desire. I think the lighting would work really effectively, especially the lighting from a fire.

Therefore, I started to look at images of mantel pieces and think about the objects that I could collect and model in 3Ds Max. I also thought about composition of how the objects are laid out within the scene.

In seminars, we learnt how to model simple objects to quite complex objects from reference images. We also learnt how to add relevant cameras and lighting for our scenes, whilst thinking about composition, along with developing skills with the modifier tool ‘Unwrap UVW’ to texture our objects.

First of all I had an idea to make a series of four mantel pieces, which would show a story through time of a family moving out of the house and a new family moving in. My ideas started off with an old dusty mantel piece, which then moved onto the mantel piece and wearing out, through to it getting re furnished and then modernised with fresh new objects in the scene. However this did not go to plan, as I wanted to spend a lot of time texturing the scene and making it look as realistic as I could. So, I planned to stick with one mantel piece that then eventually gets worn out over time, for example the objects would become more rustier and worn. I also thought about adding cracks to the mirror and getting rid of the photo in the photo frame to show signs of a broken family as a narrative.

Therefore I used my reference images to start modelling the objects for my scene, where I used the skills I’d learnt in seminars to create the feel and atmosphere of the scene. Throughout the process of this project I thought the most difficult part was using the Unwrap UVW modifier. At first I wasn’t confident using this tool, but as I thought myself how to use it I then improved so much more.  I learnt that you have to spend a lot of time on this to get the result you want. I am still not fluent in the tool but I would say I enjoyed using this and applying the textures the most throughout this project, even If I found it difficult.

Overall I have a learnt a lot from this project. I would say mainly I have developed my skills in visualisation, especially texturing and lighting. I think feedback from other people throughout this project has helped me a lot, along with reference images to see how detailed an object actually comes across. I will continue to use and enhance these skills further, as this has given me a better understanding for visualisation.

'The Art of Seeing'

As a task for this project we were asked to create a texture/lighting online library. For this I photographed several textures around where I live that I thought were interesting and had abstract feel to them. When taking images I thought about textures that people don’t really see or look for. I used my macro lens on my camera to be able to show detail of the textures and surroundings. I thought this was a motivating task to complete for the project, because it made me think about texturing the minors details within my work.

My 'Art of Seeing' Flickr Libary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyslop/sets/72157628951328587/

Alyssa

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments :