Visualisation Evaluation.

08:22 0 Comments

For the Architectural Environmental Design project, we had to produce a 60 second walk through from a chapter of a book of your choice. This included designing, modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering using 3Ds Max. It was important to study the architecture styles, mood and genres of the scene you are creating.

For the project I researched many production designers and visualisation artists to gather  inspiration for creating my own scene. I have always admired production designer Patti  Podesta. I researched his work after watching the film  Love and Other Drugs.  Now he has gone into designing TV shows than films. I also admire the production designer John Shaffner who designs for TV shows such as The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. Although these two designers don’t relate to my style of work for this project, they have inspired me to use some of the techniques that I see within their own work.

When attending the first seminar for this project I knew straight away Flowers In The Attic By Virginia Andrews would be a great book to use for this project, especially the chapter where the children find the attic because there is so much you can imagine and feel from that particular chapter.

They produced a film of Flowers in the Attic which I have got on DVD, but I kept well away from it as I wanted to create and imagine the design and architecture myself.

Therefore I started looking at different types of attics and how the roof fit with the particular styles of architecture. I then began to sketch my own ideas from my imagination of what I believed the attic would look like.  The objects in the attic came from the chapter of the book so therefore I found related images for these objects which I could use to help me when modelling. I also thought about the composition of how the objects would be laid out within the scene.

In seminars, we learnt how to model simple architecture to quite complex architecture from reference images. We also looked into the history of architecture, which I found very useful when designing the plan of the attic. Lighting was also something we learnt within the seminars which I found very beneficial, it helped me understand the types of lighting and exposure you could use within your scene.

I started building the plan of the attic and then using my reference images to start modelling the objects for my scene.. Throughout the process of this project I thought the most difficult part was the lighting. For some reason the rendering was showing up with the lights in the scene, but I managed to fix the problem in the end.

If I worked on this project again, I would improve the textures within the scene and make the environment look a lot more aged than it already does. I would also added subtle lights to bring minor detail to the surrounding objects.

I have learnt a lot from this project and realised that you have to spend a lot of time on visualisation to get the result you want, such as texturing and lighting. However  I believe I have developed my skills further, especially in lighting which I will continue to use and expand on in my future projects.

Alyssa

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments :