Artefact One!

19:00 0 Comments


Artefact One Test from Alyssa Brookes on Vimeo.

The purpose of my first artefact was to show a baseline animated performance through a character’s inner feelings, constructing interior monologue.  I chose a clip from the film 'The Birdcage, 1996', as I enjoyed how the clip comes across quite dramatic and I feel it gave me an advantage to start off with more exaggerated movements through acting.  

The process involved starting out with knowing the background of the character and what he would be feeling throughout the scene, as this is an important part regarding interior monologue. I then went on to block out my key poses, making sure I gave the computer enough information for what I wanted my character to do. I am the animator, not the computer.      

The feedback was generally quite positive. However, from the context of the research there were still aspects which could be improved to create a better piece for a baseline performance. I feel I could have animated the performance using more subtext and subtleties. Also, a few of the audience didn't really understand the dialogue of the clip, which therefore I could have explored more into and improved the story telling within the performance. As performed by Nathan Lane in the film, I felt as though he didn't exaggerate his acting that much within the scene, I believed he used a lot more subtle movements, especially at the start of the dialogue. I believe my acting choices were a lot more exaggerated than in the film, although I didn't intend to copy the film certain areas of the movements were quite blocky and the timing of some of the reactions were a bit out. The audience also noticed the lip syncs were not as exaggerated as the body language. This would be something to definitely improve when taking another pass at it.       

As I feel more subtleties and subtext could be added to this performance, in my second Artefact I will go ahead to research further reading into subtext, to create a performance which shows what the character’s thought process is behind the dialogue. Subtext is key within performance. 

Alyssa

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments :